Saturday, February 7, 2009

She Made It!


And I guess it turns out I did, too. I hate to belabor the subject of my labor, but here's how it happened...

At about 3 am on Tuesday I started having more real pains than what I had felt up to that point so I thought for sure we'd be in the hospital later that day. Chris even canceled the ride-along he had scheduled for work. But we went ahead about our day, and although the pains were real and often scary, nothing happened. In fact, I was still having the same pains at 3 am the next morning, so that was delightful. The induction was scheduled for 7:30 that morning, and that's when we got started. Most of the time between then and 6:30 pm was spent just anticipating, mixed in with such events as getting my IV, getting my water broken, and getting the epidural. None of those were as awful as I had expected, by the way, so I was happy about that. I did have a reaction to the epidural - my blood pressure dropped really low and I almost lost consciousness; that was scary. But the anesthesiologist, Dr. Stetler, was seriously wonderful and he brought me back pretty quick. My nurse Misti was fantastic too; she laughed heartily at most of Chris' boredom-induced jokes and she was really good about answering questions and explaining everything we did. Plus she loaded me up with popsicles and ice chips, and who doesn't love that while you're in labor? They had to go in and put an internal monitor on Olive's head and one in my uterus in order to track my contractions and her heart rate; for some reason the external monitors weren't working for me. And there was a bit of worry because every time I had a contraction Olive's heart rate dropped pretty significantly. We weren't sure how she'd be able to handle it when I would surely start having harder longer ones later on. So there was talk of a possible C-section. Chris and I said a little prayer together, and sure enough she started improving after a little while. The other red flag was that there was meconium in the amniotic fluid, and if Olive ingested or aspirated it that could mean infection. Then later I started getting a high fever - something around 102 degrees - and that was bad news for Olive too. So needless to say, things got a little stressful. I started actually pushing at 6:35 in the evening. Two hours of what seemed like unproductive pushing went by. I couldn't seem to get her past my pubic bone. Dr. England, my awesome doctor, suggested we use a little help from the vacuum; I was worried but Jenny reassured me that a couple of her kids had needed it and it would be fine. It seems like everything happened really fast after that. Chris will have to tell you things from his perspective at that point because all I know is that one minute I was pushing, pushing, pushing (and maybe even screaming a little), and the next minute I had the biggest feeling of relief in the world. She was out. The cord was wrapped around her neck, so Dr. England took care of that right away. And then they took her a few feet away where Dr. Stetler intubated her and cleaned out any meconium she had gotten a hold of. They did a bunch of other stuff to her too, and all I could do was cry and ask to see her. They finally gave her to us, and Chris and I bawled our eyes out. He definitely cried more than I did, but we were so happy and in awe that she was actually there with us. We spent the next 48 hours in room 213 recovering and not really resting at all. Olive had to stay in the nursery on an IV of antibiotics and some sugary stuff. But they brought her to me every few hours so we could work on feeding and bonding. I won't lie, the breast feeding was tough at first and she and I both got a little sad and frustrated, but with the help of the lactation specialist we got the hang of it. And now she's a little piglet! I was discharged late last night, but Olive had to stay because she has jaundice (has jaundice? is jaundiced? how do you say it?) She's under the bili lights till at least tomorrow morning. It was heartbreaking for me to leave her there, but we've been going back every couple of hours to feed her and to bring what I've pumped. Chris has been the best pumper-helper in the world, by the way. We miss her a lot, and can't wait to bring her home with us.

It's actually time right now for us to go over and see her. I love my little girl!

13 comments:

  1. congratulations, darling! i'm sorry that you had to leave her there, but i guess that's better than my poor parents who got me home for 40 hours and then had to take me back, all freaked out, when i turned yellow :) but, the tanning bed worked like a champ, and here i am, no ill effects 30 years later!

    i'm gonna call you guys tomorrow; when do you head to arizona?

    i love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on little Olive. I'm so happy for you and glad that everything went well! Talk soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olive is beautiful! Congratulations. I have to share a this with you on breastfeeding cause I learned about this WONDERFUL product called Hydrogel wound dressings. They will keep you from getting sores while breastfeeding. Ask the nurses at the hospital about them and if you can't find them I found them on this website http://www.momsinmind.com.sg/mothermates.html They are a little pricey but well worth the soothing of pain! Then again maybe you're not in pain, but I was for my 1st 4 and wanted to share!

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! I've been checking your blog regularly to see if she'd come yet! I'm so happy for you guys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting to see pictures!! :) Hello, Olive! I'm so glad she's here and everyone is doing ok I prayed and prayed for you guys! I'm so glad you didn't have to have a CS. It's bites. I cannot to meet her. Let's make sure it's before she's a teenager, pretty please?

    Love you!!! Give her sugars from me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! I hope she is home with you by now. We did the bili lights with Will, except at home. As hard as it is, be thankful they kept her at the hospital for it. At home is pure torture for everyone. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! I am so happy for you and Chris! Sounds like you did a great job!

    Missing you,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you guys! Olive is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats you two, she is gorgeous. I wish that you weren't moving and we could see a little more of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Brooke and Chris! She is beautiful! I am glad that everything turned out good and that Olive made it to this world finally. Enjoy your new precious spirit and cherish every moment you get together as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is so beautiful, guys!!! Congratulations! I couldn't be happier for the two of you. Olive is one lucky girl. Best wishes!
    Also, what is her full name, weight, height, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray! I am so late in my congratulations but I loved reading your story! She is absolutely beautiful and I am so proud of you! That sounds so nerdy, but it is hard work! Congratulations and hooray! I am glad baby and you are doing well! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brooke! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl! We have a new grandson born Jan 5,09. He had some scarey health things too! Had IV meds and sugar & salt water. Jaimee was released and he had to stay 5 more days, then 3 days at home on IV's! Thank heavens for modern medicine! Enjoy that little bundle from Heaven! Love ya! Pam

    ReplyDelete