Thursday, November 19, 2009

What do we live for

if not to make life less difficult for each other?

Here's a picture of George Eliot, the lady who penned this line. That wasn't her real name, by the way; she used a male name figuring people would take her more seriously that way. Interesting, huh?

I digress.

This month is a pick-your-own visiting teaching message, and I'm curious what you chose. I picked President Monson's talk What Have I Done for Someone Today. When Chris and I first got married we had this vision of doing or being "something for someone somewhere" each day. I'll admit I've been less than perfect at remembering that vision, but reading this quote and this talk gave me a strengthened resolve about it. I can honestly say I'm way less wound up and stressed about stuff when I stop worrying about my own life and start thinking about making someone else's life easier. Today when I visited two of my girls, I asked why this is an important principle. One of them said, "Because it's not about us." I ponder that seemingly simple response, and I'm very affected by it.

So anyway, what did you choose?

4 comments:

  1. I think that you have been "something for someone somewhere" each day. It is hard to recognize that when that someone is your child, but being there for them is so important and I get the impression that you are very much there for Olive every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that, i guess i forget to look at it that way.

    what message did you choose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm..I haven't chosen a message to be honest, we are bad about the sharing a message part. But we do visit our sisters--right now I am counting that as a victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I don't Visit Teach, so I can't answer that question...but I wanted to say I love the new layout :) And you, I love you!

    ReplyDelete