Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Giving Thanks

We just got home from our 10-day Thanksgiving sojourn in Maryland. It's achy being back. I miss my marvelous mom real bad. Nevertheless, here's a rundown of our trip to the beloved east.

We arrived in Baltimore on the Monday before Turkey Day. It was coldy and wet and all we wanted after a long day of plane rides was a warmy meal. Gaily Balls took us to a diner in Frederick for supper. She had said, "I've never eaten anything that wasn't delicious here," but as we all dug in we were all disappointed. Not a yummy meal, but we didn't care - we were just excited to be together.

Mom had to work the next day, and she caught a ride into Bethesda with a co-worker so that Chris and I could have her car. We went to Washington and saw the Arlington Cemetery and the American History and Natural History museums.

Arlington Cemetery - JFK's grave site

Arlington Cemetery - Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Arlington Cemetery

American History - Kermit

American History - Lincoln death mask

Natural History - Hope Diamond

Natural History - Tyrannosaurus Rex

That night we had dinner with Mom and Jen at a brewery in Frederick. I had the crabcakes...and got food poisoning. I was in pretty bad shape. Mom missed work the next day because she ate the crabcakes too and got a milder case of whatever I had contracted. We laid pretty low all day Wednesday, and then Lisa's and Scot's families got there that night. Naturally, and in the Eaton family tradition, we stayed up late talking about anything and everything. And I felt better by Thursday morning (phew, just in time).

On Thanksgiving day, the boys (Scot, Scott, Nick and Chris) played football all morning while we started getting things ready and even took a last minute trip to the store. Fixing dinner was as fun as eating it. I made homemade rolls and stuffing, Chris made cranberry sauce, Annie made her yummy broccoli casserole, and Mom took care of everything else. It was a delicious spread. I was really discouraged at how fast I got full.

OK, so the kitchen was a little crowded.

Watching football, playing Scrabble, laughing and talking is how we spent the day. That night we did the yarn web thingy that my mom loves to do, and we talked about what we were thankful for. And then we exhausted ourselves with more talking and laughing till the wee hours of the morning.

Our yarn web.

Emilee fell asleep next to me; she melts my heart, and she moved up Chris' list of favorites real fast this week.

On Friday we went to Boyd's Bears, the battlefields in Gettysburg, and shopping at the outlets. Dinner was at Five Guys that night, and then Scot made bananas foster for everyone. Yum!
Grandma Gail let the kids make their own bears.

Lisa couldn't resist buying some big wax lips.

Here's a few of us at the top of Little Round Top in Gettysburg.

Chris and a soldier at Devil's Den.

Megs and Nick up on the rocks at Devil's Den.

On Saturday we had a lot of extended family over.

The boys played football again, and Chris presented Scottie with the game ball.

Emilee was dying to hold Maddie; I loved her outfit!

MJ and Kelly - just one picture out of a million of extended family that came over that day.

Saturday night, after all the extended family left, was another long night of talking, maybe even a little pontificating, but definitely laughing and enjoying each other. Scot's and Lisa's families left early the next morning, and Chris and I went to church with Mom. We lazed the day away after that, watched Dances With Wolves (one of my mom's favorites), and then spent a few hours listening to her recount some of her colorful life stories. I don't think Chris or I will soon forget the content of that conversation.

Monday Mom went to work and Chris had to study and work, so I did some laundry and paid bills. We went with Mom to her Weight Watchers class that night, and then had dinner at Friday's and then went and saw Australia. It was great! Gaily leaned over about 20 minutes into it lamenting about not liking it, but I think she eventually got sucked in. Chris and I sure did.

Tuesday was more work for Mom and Chris so I busied myself with other stuff. Mom took us for some Italian for dinner that night and then we shopped a little bit. When we got home we wrapped presents and stayed up way too late for a school night, trying not to let our last few hours together end. This morning Gaily took us to the airport, and I hated leaving. She's an amazing mother, and my hero in a million ways.

So, needless to say, we had a delightful Thanksgiving holiday. We both feel particularly thankful for Mom's generosity and nobility, for the changes that are coming our way in the next couple months, for Olive and for each other, and especially for our knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and His True Church.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you had a lovely one!

4 comments:

  1. sounds fun; i'm so envious of gettysburg and the museums! and i have to know--when you say chris "made" cranberry sauce, do you mean he opened the can? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 days!!! I didn't think you would be here that long...now I am sad I didn't see you! We were so close! We were gone the whole week at the outer banks. I don't even know if it would have worked out, but we will be around for at least another year, so next time we will have to see eachother. I am glad you had fun here. That is really unfortunate about the crabs! The famous crabs! Ha! At least it didn't ruin your Thanksgiving meal. Well, have a wonderful December...I don't suppose you'll be back for Christmas??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brooke,

    I need your address so I can send you a card for Christmas! Can you please post it on here or email it to me???

    Thank you so much!!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete